Memorial to Brigadier Sir Philip John Denton Toosey

Born in Upton Road in Oxton in 1904, Philip Toosey was educated at Birkenhead School then Gresham’s School in Norfolk, later taking up a position at Baring Brothers Merchant Bank in Liverpool. At his boss’s instigation, he joined the Territorial Army and was then mobilised at the outbreak of World War II, seeing action in Belgium and later being evacuated from Dunkirk. In 1941, he was sent out to the Far East with his men and fought with them to defend Singapore. When it looked likely that the island would be lost to the enemy, he was offered the chance to be evacuated, but refused, insisting that he stay with his men.

He was held captive by the Japanese from 1941 in the prisoner of war camp at Tha Maa Kham (Tamarkan) in Thailand until August 1945, where, as Lieutenant Colonel, he was the senior allied officer in charge of the allied troops.

Philip Toosey in 1942

Philip Toosey in 1942

People believed his story was accurately portrayed by Sir Alec Guinness in Bridge Over The River Kwai, but the Oscar-winning film outraged many of the former prisoners because unlike the fictional Colonel Nicholson in the film, Toosey did not collaborate with his Japanese captors. Instead he gave the appearance of compliance while taking what steps he could to slow down or sabotage the bridge-building, including collecting white ants to undermine the wooden structures and ensuring concrete mixes were badly made.

The only letter safely received by his wife during his time in captivity expressed his complete determination to do his duty by looking after his men as best he could. And so he did, taking vigorous measures to maintain standards of hygiene; negotiating with the Japanese for concessions; and – critically and most dangerously – organising the smuggling of medicines and food.

After the war, Toosey continued in the TA, achieving promotion to Brigadier. He also returned to Barings, spending time in South America as an ambassador for the business while he adjusted to life after captivity. But he did not forget his obligation to the men he had served with. In 1947 he established a network, the Far Eastern Prisoners of War Federation, to enable sufferers all over Britain to meet up, attend lectures and so on. He also developed close ties with the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, with which he worked towards finding treatments for ex-prisoners of war who’d returned with recurring, often debilitating, tropical diseases. He was appointed president in 1960s and during his lifetime, helped raise millions to further the School’s work.

Repatriation Memorial, Pier Head, Liverpool

Repatriation Memorial, Pier Head, Liverpool

He became High Sheriff of Lancashire and was knighted in 1974. After his death on 22 December 1975, his ashes were buried in Landican Cemetery on the Wirral. His full story is told in The Colonel of Tamarkan: Philip Toosey and the Bridge on the River Kwai, by writer and historian Julie Summers, also his granddaughter.

A Repatriation Memorial was dedicated to all Far Eastern prisoners of war and civilian internees (1941- 1945) at the Pier Head in Liverpool in 2011. Money for the plaque was raised by the Researching the Far Eastern Prisoners of War History group.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Monsignor James Nugent

Born 3 March 1822 – Died 27 June 1905

A pioneer for the relief of poverty

Monsignor James Nugent was a pioneer for child welfare, poverty relief and social reform whose lasting legacy continues through the work of the charity Nugent Care, which operates throughout Merseyside and the North West. Born in Hunter Street, Liverpool, James turned away from the career in business that his family had planned for him, instead training as a priest. He was ordained at St Nicholas’s in Liverpool, where he had been baptised, in 1846.

Life in Liverpool was bleak in the 1840s. Huge numbers of Irish people had moved to the city as a result of the Potato Famine. The poor lived in close quarters, were uneducated and ill-nourished, so disease was rife. Horrified by the life of poverty they endured, Father Nugent concentrated his efforts for the rest of his life on encouraging those with prestige, money and influence to help the deprived. As curate of St Nicholas’s, he first opened a Ragged School in Spitalfields in 1849, followed by a night shelter and refuge, for which there was clearly a massive demand. It’s said that in 1867, 48,000 boys received an evening meal and 3,000 had a night’s lodging there. As a result, Father Nugent opened The Boys’ Refuge, a residential school teaching shoe-making, tailoring, joinery and printing. Between its opening in 1865 and its closure over half a decade later, 2,000 boys learned a trade here.

His work as the first appointed Catholic chaplain to Walton Gaol, a position he held for 22 years, spurred him on to oversee the opening of a refuge to help women released from prison in 1891. He also established a home for mothers and babies and promoted the use of Penny Savings Banks to help the poor set aside money when they could for hard times. His League of the Cross for Total Abstinence spread across the world, as far as India and Australia, and he helped many destitute Liverpool people to emigrate abroad in search of a better life.

Monsignor James Nugent - Picture by R Hopwood, 1922

Picture of Monsignor James Nugent (picture by R Hopwood, 1922)

He was made a Monsignor in 1890 and was held in such high esteem by the citizens of Liverpool that on 5 May 1897, he was presented with a portrait of himself at a public meeting which was attended by thousands.

He died aged 83 at the Harewood House, Formby from pneumonia, following a bad fall on RMS Oceanic on his return from a trip abroad. His funeral was huge, with thousands coming to pay their last respects as he was buried in Ford Cemetery; and on 8 December 1906, a statue of him was erected in St Johns Gardens, Liverpool, commemorating all he had achieved in his lifetime as an:

 “Apostle of Temperance, Protector of the Orphan Child, Consoler of the Prisoner, Reformer of the Criminal, Saviour of Fallen Womanhood, Friend of all in Poverty and Affliction, An Eye to the Blind, a Foot to the Lame, the Father of the Poor”.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

The Legacy of Joseph Williamson, Philanthropist

The King of Edge Hill

Known as an eccentric, a businessman and a philanthropist, Joseph’s most enduring legacy must be the tunnels he had constructed in the Edge Hill area of Liverpool.

Born in the West Riding of Yorkshire, Joseph was the son of a glassmaker, but left his family home at the age of 11 to work for Richard Tate in the tobacco and snuff business in Liverpool. He quickly rose through the ranks, marrying the boss’s daughter Elizabeth in 1802 and buying the business off her brother in 1803.

Joseph Williamson Portrait

Joseph Williamson Portrait

Now wealthy, Joseph bought a large piece of undeveloped land in Edge Hill along with a house on Mason Street close by. He proceeded to employ builders to construct houses ‘of the strangest description’, apparently with no architect’s plans, rhyme or reason. But he did not stop there. He continued to employ men to work on his land, even when there appeared to be no purpose – moving piles of earth from one place to another and back again. He also embarked on a programme of tunnel building, with underground passageways at depths of between 10 and 50 feet below the surface. Eventually, these stretched for several miles. When he had retired and after the death of his wife, he concentrated all his efforts on these mysterious excavations and appeared increasingly odd to those who met him.

Williamson died in 1840 aged 71. He was buried in the Tate family tomb at St Thomas’ Church and the tunnelling finally stopped.

There is plenty of speculation about the tunnels, fuelled even more by the fact that Joseph was secretive about their purpose. He left behind no plans or any records of who had worked on the tunnel or for how long. Some say he was a member of a strange cult, but the most likely reason was that he saw it as a means of providing gainful work for the many men returning from the Napoleonic Wars. He himself said that his workers “all received a weekly wage and were thus enabled to enjoy the blessing of charity without the attendant curse of stifled self-respect”, suggesting that his prime motive was “the employment of the poor”.

Today, the Friends of Williamson’s Tunnels and the Heritage Centre on the site continue to renovate and foster awareness of the labyrinths Joseph created. Parts are open to the public, and if you want to see this fascinating piece of Liverpool history, an enduring memorial to Williamson, you can find details of when to visit here.

There is also a very entertaining account of Williamson with anecdotes about his strange ways in the book Recollections of Old Liverpool by a Nonagenarian, published in 1863 – this is freely available on the internet and also contains many fascinating accounts of the city and its characters!

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Updating Family Memorials

Lifting, Storing, Updating and Re-affixing a Family Gravestone Following a Recent Death

While a death in the family is always a sad and distressing time, some things can bring a small measure of comfort. Some families decide to purchase a family plot in a burial ground of their choice, ensuring that family members can be buried together. There is a great deal of solace and reassurance to be gained from knowing that family members share a last resting place, and that couples, mothers, fathers, children and other close relatives are reunited. Having a place to visit those who are gone but not forgotten, where we can pay our respects or even just have a chat, can give us a sense of well-being.

But what happens when the day comes that you need to add a recently-departed relative to a family grave?

How memorials are sometimes left...

How memorials are sometimes left…

...Damage can result from weathering and other adverse conditions

…Damage can result from weathering and other adverse conditions

Firstly, the memorial stone must, of course, be removed for the funeral. A new inscription must be added. And there is then a period, usually of around six months, before the ground settles and the memorial stone can be returned to its rightful position.

During this time, simply allowing the stone to lie on the ground in the vicinity makes it much more vulnerable to weathering – the lettering can be damaged, for example. It’s also more likely to suffer accidental damage, or even more unfortunately, become a target for mindless vandals.

Why not give yourself and your family peace of mind?

At Sarsfield Memorials Liverpool, our expert memorial masons will uplift your family’s gravestone safely and professionally. We will then store it for you in the optimum conditions until it’s ready to be reinstated on the gravesite. We’ll do this free of charge.

We can also update the memorial stone by engraving any additional inscription, which we charge for by the letter. We will additionally clean the stone and re-gild or re-lead the existing lettering, again charged for by the letter, if it has become necessary.

Finally, once the ground has settled, we’ll re-affix it securely and in line with the relevant local guidelines.

We offer this service throughout the North West and are happy to offer a free quotation before uplifting and updating family memorials, so that you know in advance what the cost will be. To find out more about our services for updating and storage of existing family memorials, email us at or call us on 0151 228 5616 and we’d be happy to talk you through the process.


In memory of William Roscoe (1753-1831)

William Roscoe portrayed by Martin Archer Shee

William Roscoe portrayed by Martin Archer Shee

William Roscoe was a man of many talents and interests, but he is known particularly for being a historian and abolitionist. He was the son of a market gardener who also owned a public house, the Bowling Green, in Mount Pleasant – then a semi-rural location on the outskirts of Liverpool. He left school at 12, but continued to educate himself – and others – throughout the rest of his life.

Initially, he worked alongside his father, during which time he bought his first book which was to be the start of a renowned collection. He also developed an interest in the fine arts and taught himself to read Latin, French and Italian.

Articled as a solicitor in 1769, he went into business by himself in 1774 and went on to marry the daughter of a Liverpool tradesman. Together, they had ten children.

In many ways, William was ahead of his time. For example, he founded a Society for the Encouragement of the Arts, Painting and Design in 1773, the first society of this kind outside London, and organised the first exhibition of painting in Liverpool featuring local artists. He also wrote a biography of Lorenzo de Medici, one of the patrons of the Renaissance, which encouraged him to promote cultural development in Liverpool to counterbalance the city’s thirst for trade. He also played an active part in the founding of the Liverpool Royal Institution and the Athenaeum Library.

But one of his lifelong passions was denouncing the slave trade, which at this time played a huge part in Liverpool’s wealth. It was a brave move which could have seriously damaged his career, but he stood firm. He published pamphlets arguing against it and voted for a motion to abolish the slave trade during the one year he represented Liverpool as an MP in the House of Commons. After this, he came home to face a riot orchestrated by local slave traders. However, he calmly continued his work with Liverpool Society for the Abolition of Slavery for the remainder of his life.

Disillusioned with the law, he pursued business interests in banking which almost resulted in bankruptcy during a period of severe economic depression in 1816. Sadly, he was forced to sell off his art and book collection, although his many friends bought what they could and donated them to the Liverpool Royal Institute and Athenaeum.

Many remember him for the poems he wrote for children, the most famous of is The Butterfly’s Ball and the Grasshopper’s Feast, which reflected his lifelong interest in botany – among his many other accomplishments, he also established the Botanic Gardens in Liverpool.

Copy of a picture of Roscoe's monument by Stewart Dale, 1931

Copy of a picture of Roscoe’s monument by Stewart Dale, 1931

In 1831, aged 78, he died of influenza. He was interred in the burial ground next to Renshaw Street chapel, where as a devout Presbyterian he had worshipped, and close to the Old Bowling Green House Tavern where he had been born. Among many reminders of his work that remain in memory of him to this day in Liverpool, a monument stands in the cloisters of Ullet Road Church.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Memorials to Agnes Elizabeth Jones, 1832-68

Pioneer of the nursing profession

Agnes was born into a wealthy family in Cambridge in 1832, but moved to Fahan, Co Donegal in Ireland while very young. Her father was in the army and the family travelled a great deal as he was posted overseas. Agnes herself was very religious and had a strong sense of responsibility from an early age, always concerned with welfare of others.

In 1853, while on holiday with her family in Europe, Agnes met deaconesses from the Institute of Kaiserwerth, which ran one of the world’s first training schools for nursing. She also spent time at the Institution in Bonn, learning new standards of nursing. Once back in Ireland, she worked at Dublin Hospital, spending her spare time helping the sick and dying homeless in the city.

Passionate about her calling, in 1859 she moved to London where she met Florence Nightingale and Sarah E Wardroper, at that time the senior nurse at St Thomas Hospital. This inspired her to begin formal training as a nurse in 1862 at the Nightingale School at St Thomas’ Hospital. After a year’s study, she took up nursing roles in London, including acting as the Superintendent of the Great Northern Hospital from 1863-4.

Meanwhile in Liverpool, the philanthropist and merchant William Rathbone was keen to improve standards for the poor. In 1865, on the recommendation of Florence Nightingale, Rathbone invited Agnes to take a lead role in his new experiment to introduce trained nurses to the Liverpool Workhouse Infirmary on Brownlow Hill. The law at the time discouraged the poor from entering the workhouses by making conditions inside far worse than for working poor outside. Those currently nursing the sick were female paupers who hadn’t had any nursing training. Rathbone believed so strongly in the measure that he personally funded the first three years of the experiment, rather than the money coming out of local taxes. Agnes was the first nurse countrywide to be appointed as the superintendent of such an institution.

Agnes threw herself into the role with a passion, tackling the typhus and cholera raging through the patients by cleaning the wards, destroying filthy bed linen and further improving conditions. She headed up a team of 12 nurses and 65 assistant nurses. As a direct result of her actions, the mortality rate dropped and health and living conditions in the workhouse improved.

Agnes Jones Window in Anglican Cathedral

Agnes Jones Window in Anglican Cathedral

However, her dedication to making the poor’s lives better took its toll on Agnes and she succumbed to typhus fever herself, dying on 19 Feb 1868 at the age of just 35.

Although she was buried in St Mura’s Graveyard, Fahan, Ireland, Liverpool recognises her huge contribution to the welfare of the city with memorials including a window in the Lady Chapel of the Anglican Cathedral and a statue in the Cathedral Oratory.



Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Memorial to Robert Tressell

“The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropist”

17 April 1870 – 3 February 1911

Robert Tressell the author of the famous book, The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, was born Robert Croker in Ireland, an illegitimate child whose father nonetheless acknowledged him. Robert later changed his name to Noonan, his mother’s maiden name.

Robert Noonan, or Tressell as he was later known

Robert Noonan, or Tressell as he was later known

In 1888, he emigrated to Cape Town in South Africa where he earned a living as a painter and decorator. He married and his wife gave birth to a daughter, Kathleen. However, finding out that his wife had had a series of affairs, he divorced her and took custody of their child in 1897. They moved to Johannesburg and Robert became actively involved with the trades unions and politics. Around the time of the Second Boer War, Robert decided to relocate the family to England. Initially, life was good. Kathleen attended private schools and Robert found time to develop an interest in aviation, even designing and building a model airship that he hoped the War Office would be interested in. However, they rejected his proposal. He turned again to politics, joining the Social Democratic Federation.

After a dispute with his employer, he lost his job in 1907 and his health began to deteriorate. The recession and his ill health made it difficult to find work and he began to write to keep his daughter and himself out of the workhouse. His writing was heavily influenced by his experiences of the relationship between the employer and the worker and his socialist beliefs. He adopted the pen name Tressell (after one of the tools of his trade, the painter’s trestle table) to avoid getting blacklisted for his political views.

The resulting book was rejected by three publishers and Robert was on the verge of burning it in his despair. Luckily, his daughter Kathleen saved it and would later fight to get it published after his death. He was so disillusioned with life in Britain by this time that he decided to emigrate with Kathleen to Canada. He left her with her aunt in Hastings while he travelled to Liverpool to earn money for their passage, but no sooner had he arrived than his condition worsened. He was admitted to the Royal Liverpool Infirmary in November 1910 and died of pulmonary tuberculosis on 3 Feb 1911, aged just 40 years.

Robert Noonan, Blue Plaque

Robert Noonan, Blue Plaque

By then in extreme poverty, Robert was buried in unmarked paupers’ grave in Liverpool Parochial Cemetery, later known as Walton Park Cemetery, along with 12 other bodies. The location of the grave was unknown until 1970, but is now marked by a memorial stone, paid for by subscription and sponsored by Liverpool and Hastings Trades Councils in 1977. In keeping with Robert’s beliefs, his name is recorded alongside his fellow paupers.

His book was finally published as a result of his daughter’s determination, although only in an abridged format until 1955. It has been credited with playing a role in Labour’s landslide victory in 1945 and is still hugely influential today.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

History of St James Cemetery, Liverpool

St James Cemetery, nestling alongside Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral, is a little haven of peace and tranquillity away from the urban bustle. But this oasis of calm hides a long history of life and death in the city. From the sixteenth century, the land was used as a stone quarry, providing sandstone for the growing town of Liverpool. By 1825, it had been mined to extinction – with no useful stone left, it formed only an ugly scar on the landscape. However, other parts of city were overcrowded: the cemetery at Low Hill, Everton, for example, was near-full and it was increasingly hard to find space to bury Liverpool’s dead.

St James Cemetery view from the South East

St James Cemetery view from the South East

The corporation proposed a new cemetery on the site and raised £20,000 by public subscription. John Foster, a Liverpool architect and senior surveyor to the Corporation of Liverpool from 1824-34, was commissioned to design a cemetery in a similar style to the famous Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris. He created a magnificent and dramatic space. Along the east wall, a series of ramps led to 101 catacombs cut into the rock face, while below, winding, tree-lined pathways crossed the burial ground. Looming above, to the north-west, was the Oratory, the cemetery’s chapel where funeral services were held, a Greek-style temple which is still standing today; and a house for the Minister, now long gone.

The cemetery site also featured Liverpool’s only natural running spring, which you can still find along the East wall. This was first discovered by quarrymen in 1773 and it was believed to be especially beneficial to take the waters for “loss of appetite, nervous disorders, lowness of spirit, headaches proceeding from crudities of the stomach, Ricketts and weak eyes.”

Huskisson Monument, St James Cemetery

Huskisson Monument, St James Cemetery

Perhaps the most famous burial was that of William Huskisson, the MP we wrote about in October last year, who was the first person to be killed by a passenger train in 1830 during the official opening of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway. But the cemetery housed a mind-boggling 57,773 others. The rich were laid down in catacombs and vaults while the poor were buried in pits, covered only with a thin layer of soil before others were laid down on top of them. Kitty Wilkinson (whose story featured in last week’s blog), John Foster (the architect himself), Robert Cain, founder of Cain’s Brewery in Liverpool and Sir William Brown, the merchant banker who donated the money to build Liverpool Central Library were all buried here, amongst many other notable Liverpool citizens.

The last burial took place in July 1936 and there was little maintenance or security in the years that followed. Unsurprisingly, St James Cemetery degenerated, unloved and unwanted. Only in the late 1960s did the fortunes of the area shift for the better. Plans were laid out for a public garden and the vast majority of gravestones were moved.

The urban park now enjoys Grade I Historic Park status and is used by individuals seeking a quiet moment’s reflection as well as families and community groups. Many clues to the land’s former uses remain and it’s fascinating to wander round and look at the reminders of the thousands of lives that ended here.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Memorials to Kitty Wilkinson

‘Saint of the Slums’ – 1786 – 1860

Photo of Kitty Wilkinson

Kitty Wilkinson

Liverpool’s ‘Saint of the Slums’, as she was later dubbed, was born Catherine Seward in Londonderry, 1786. She came to Liverpool in 1795 with her mother, having lost her father and sister in a shipwreck, and was apprenticed in a cotton mill in Lancashire at the age of 11. By the time she was 18, she had returned to her mother in Liverpool. Both worked in domestic service. Soon after, she married a French sailor, who unfortunately died before the birth of their second son.

Kitty did whatever she needed to do to support her mother and her two children, from working in a factory producing nails to doing odd jobs in the fields. Yet she still found time for others and her kind and generous nature led to her nursing a sick woman for over 18 months. When this woman eventually died, in gratitude, her husband presented Kitty with a mangle enabling her to earn a living by taking in washing.

In 1823, Kitty married Thomas Wilkinson and became further involved in the care of poor children in the area, setting up a school for orphans and caring for waifs and strays, young and old, in her own home.

When Liverpool was struck by a horrendous outbreak of cholera in 1832, Kitty owned the only boiler in her neighbourhood, and showed great enterprise and bravery in the face of this fatal illness. She turned her home into a washhouse, allowing the women in the local area to disinfect their clothes, bedding and other linen. She diligently nursed the sick in her neighbourhood and, recognising the importance of cleanliness, taught her neighbours how to protect against the disease by using a chloride of lime and boiling, which killed the cholera bacteria. It’s thought that many lives were saved as a result.

As always in history, a disaster is often the motivator for change and soon after in 1842, Britain’s first public washhouse was opened in Liverpool on Upper Frederick Street. In recognition of her efforts in campaigning for this facility, she was appointed superintendent of the baths in 1846. Also in that year, she was presented with a silver teapot, gifted to her by Queen Victoria and the ladies of Liverpool.

After her death in 1860, she was buried in St James Cemetery, where her memorial read:

“CATHERINE WILKINSON. Died 11 November 1860, aged 73. Indefatigable and self-denying. She was the Widow’s friend. The support of the Orphan. The fearless and unwearied nurse of the sick. The originator of Baths and Wash-houses for the poor. ‘For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.’ St. Mark, 12th Chapter, 44th Verse.”

Kitty Wilkinson in the Lady Chapel Liverpool Cathedral

Kitty Wilkinson in the Lady Chapel Liverpool Cathedral

She’s recognised throughout the city for her tireless work on behalf of the poor, notably her image is in the Lady Window in Liverpool’s Anglican Cathedral. She was also the first woman to be immortalised in the newly renovated St George’s Hall, alongside 12 male benefactors of Liverpool from the Victorian and Edwardian eras.


Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.

Memorials to Alfred Lewis Jones KCMG

Sir Alfred Lewis Jones

Sir Alfred Lewis Jones

Born in Carmarthen on 24 February 1845, Alfred Jones began his career in shipping at an early age. He was apprenticed at twelve to the African Steamship Company in Liverpool and spent numerous years rising through the business, reaching the role of manager by the time he was 26. However, he had greater ambitions and left to begin his own business, borrowing money to buy a couple of small sailing vessels. While successful in his endeavours, Sir Alfred realised that the future lay in steamships and sold his own ships, accepting a managerial position at Messrs Elder, Dempster & Co, which had by then taken over the African Steamship Company.

Alfred negotiated an employment package that included shares in the company and he continued to increase his influence in the shipping world, particularly in acquiring land and businesses in West Africa. He was the first merchant to import bananas to England in 1884 and the ships of the Elder, Dempster & Co line eventually became known as the ‘banana boats’.

As senior partner, he took a leading role in opening up trade routes with the West Indies, as well as developing tourism and the banana industry in the Canary Islands. With his increasing wealth, he became a great philanthropist and founded the world’s first School of Tropical Medicine in Liverpool in 1898 – it was here later that it was first discovered that malaria is transmitted by mosquito bite.

Amongst other high profile roles in Liverpool, Alfred was President of the Liverpool Chamber of Commerce. He was also knighted in November 1901 in recognition of his services to the West African Colonies and to Jamaica.

Sir Alfred Jones Memorial

Sir Alfred Jones Memorial

He died without marrying on 13 December 1909, leaving large charitable bequests. During his final illness, he was impressed with the quality of care he received from local nurses and one of his dying wishes was to erect a new local hospital. Although he didn’t have time to change his will, his sister arranged for a donation of £10,000 to be made towards the building of the Sir Alfred Jones Memorial Hospital in Garston. The hospital opened in 1915 on Woolton Road, and although it was closed in 2009, a new treatment centre on the site incorporates elements of the original architecture.

There is also a Grade II memorial to Sir Alfred Lewis Jones at the south end of the Pier Head in Liverpool, facing west towards the River Mersey. Designed by Sir George Frampton and unveiled in 1913, this commemorates his lifelong support for Liverpool as a major port for trade and commerce. A main street in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, the Canary Islands, is also named after him.

Louise McTigue is a freelance writer and researcher, writing on behalf of Sarsfield Memorials.