Prescot Cemetery, which is situated in Manchester Road and a short walk of Prescot town centre, is administered by Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, one of six local authorities in the Liverpool city region.
The cemetery opened in 1923 when the graveyard at St Mary’s Church approached capacity. As such there are no World War 1 Graves in Prescot Cemetery, but the Commonwealth & War Graves Commission has identified that it is the resting place of sixteen servicemen killed in World War 2. These include seven from the Royal Air Force reserves.
Knowsley Council came in for some criticism in the first decade of the 20th Century due to the condition of Prescot Cemetery. After appeals from residents a plaque at the entrance to the cemetery that had fallen into disrepair was replaced, while new pedestrian gates were added at the main entrance.
In 2013 the Friends of Prescot Cemetery and Churchyard was set up to ensure the grounds were not neglected anymore. Volunteers started to meet every Saturday afternoon to clear grounds, plant bulbs and create a clean sustainable place for visitors. Their hard work lead to the creation of a babies and children memorial garden and in 2015 the Department for Communities and Local Government awarded the cemetery Green Flag status.
Work is now ongoing by the friends group to draw up a comprehensive list of all the people buried in Prescot Cemetery and adjacent graveyard of St Mary’s Church. Nowadays Knowsley Council only allows burials and the interment of cremated remains in existing graves at Prescot Cemetery. New plots in the borough can only be bought at Knowsley Cemetery in Whiston.
Sarsfield Memorials enjoys a close working relationship with Knowsley Council and if you are thinking of erecting a memorial, or replacing or carrying out maintenance on an existing headstone please contact us for a discussion and a free no obligation quote.